Brothers of St. Gabriel

Period without Superior(1716-1722)

  • At the death of Montfort there were 2 Fathers without vows, 4 Brothers with vows and 3 Brothers without vows, 2 Sisters with vows and 3 Sisters without vows. The Brothers could decide to stay on or leave. The Brothers were stationed at La Rochelle, Nantes, Poitiers, St. Laurent and later on at St. Pompain.

  • Fr. Mulot executed the will of Montfort in June 1716. He and Fr. Vatel then went to stay at St. Pompain with his brother who was a parish priest there.

  • In La Rochelle Bro. Louis who took care of the charitable school, was replaced by Bro. Philippe in 1716.

  • Bro. Louis came to Nantes and tried to join the Lazarists. He died on the 8th of October 1716.

  • Bro. Jacques came to stay at St. Laurent by 1717 to help look after the school and the tomb of Fr. Montfort.

  • In November 1717 the remains of Fr. Montfort was exhumed and reburied in a new tomb at St. Laurent cemetery by his friends.

  • The parish priest of Loges, Fr. Taillefait, invited Frs. Mulot and Vatel to preach a mission there during Easter time in 1718.
  • Bro. Marthurin came to stay at St. Pompain with the Fathers in June 1718 and join the mission work that was restarted after the success at Loges.

  • There were 5 Sisters at La Rochelle in 1718 looking after school and the sick without much prospect for new members.

  • Sr. Marie Louise, the Superior, decided to go back to work at the poorhouse in Poitiers at the invitation of the Administration of that poorhouse in 1718 thinking that she could get more vocations from there.

  • The situation at Poitiers was no better than in La Rochelle vocation wise, and she chanced to meet and speak her problem to Mr. Jacques Goudeau, Montfort’s friend. He introduced her to Madame de Bouille another friend of Montfort who lived near St. Laurent.

  • Madame de Bouille with the help of the Marquis de Maganne, the admirers of Montfort arranged to get permission from the Bishop and the people of the place for Sr. Marie Louise and her sister to come and stay at St. Laurent in June 1720. Sr. Marie Louise thought that the place would be good for her new congregation to progress.

  • In 1719, Fr. Pierre Garnier of Poitiers and Fr. Jean Mulot of La Rochelle obtained permissions from their Bishops for the Missionary group to preach mission.

  • The Marquis de Maganne (Mr. Henri-Francois de Racappe) and Mme de Bouille (the Marquis, niece)bought a house for the Brothers at St. Laurent. The house was called “Chene Vert” and the Brothers used it as a charitable school from 1716-1723. Later on, the Missionary group came to rest at this house also after their mission work.

  • Mme Bouille and the Marquis de Maganne bought the long house which was formerly an inn, for the Sisters; it was in a state of neglect.

  • 16. Sr. Marie Louise came to St. Laurent alone to prepare the place and after 2 weeks was joined by other Sisters.

  • Rene Joseau, a young man born at St. Laurent who was the friend of Bro. Jacques, volunteered to help Sr. Marie Louise to fix the long house. 

  • Mme de Bouille (Francoise- Rene le Vacher) and Sr. Marie Louise approached Bishop Champflour to ask him to appoint Fr. Mulot as the Superior of the Sisters because the Sisters felt neglected on their spiritual side.

  • In November 1720 Fr. Jacques le Vallois who came from the Holy Spirit Seminary in Paris and was the friend of Fr. Vatel, joined the Missionary group at Nirot after praying at the tomb of Montfort.

  • In 1722 after a retreat, Fr. Mulot was elected Superior of the Monfortian family. The Fathers and Brothers except two made their vows with Fr. Mulot.
  • Mme de Bouille asked Fr. Mulot to train the Brothers to run school and to teach catechism.

 

The Generalate of Fr. Mulot: the First Superior General. 1722-1749)

  • The Daughter of Wisdom and the Company of Mary exchanged their residents in 1723 and the Marquis de Maganne, in his old age, came to stay with the male congregation at the long house.

  • They made a chapel in one of the room at the long house and dedicated it to the Holy Spirit. Later on the long house itself came to be known as “the Holy Spirit House”.
  • Fr. Joseph Grandet wrote Montfort biography in 1724 and Fr. John Baptist Blain wrote another version between 1722-1724.

  • Fr. Mulot rewrote the Rule of 1713 in 1728 by suppressing the part on education for the youth since this was the apostolate of the Brothers.

  • More priests from the Holy Spirit Seminary in Paris joined the Company of Mary in 1740. 
  • Fr. Mulot died from a severe attack of rheumatism on May 12 1749 while giving a mission in Questembert.

  • At the time of Fr. Mulot’s death, there were 12 Fathers, 6 Brothers and 100 Sisters.

 

The Second Superior General: Fr. Audubon (1749-1755)

  • Fr. Audubon was appointed by Fr. Mulot to be his successor and was elected to be Superior General on May 24, 1749.

  • At this time the Missionaries were called Mulotins.

  • The Marquis de Maganne died on March 15, 1750 at the Holy Spirit House.

  • Fr. Audubon failed to get the approval from the king for the Society after trying in 1750.

  • Fr. Audubon died from an unsuccessful operation on hernia on December 15, 1755 during the mission at Poire-sons Velluire.

 

The third Superior General: Fr. Charles Besnard (1755-1788)

  • During the Chapter of 1755 he was elected Superior General.

  • He attempted thrice to get the approval from the government for the 2 congregations (1756, 1765, 1771) but failed.

  • In the end he succeeded to get the approval but some articles had to be changed because civil government was trying to control religious and clergy. Rome did not approve civil laws on clergy and religious.

  • Sr. Marie Louise died on April 28, 1759 at St. Laurent. She was beatified on May 16, 1993.

  • Bro. Joseau died on May 2, 1759 at St. Laurent.
  • Bro. Marthurin died on July 22, 1760 at St. Laurent.

  • Mme de Bouille died on May 2, 1763 in Poi tiers.

  • Fr. Besnard wrote the biography of Sr. Marie Louis in 1759 and also the biography of Fr. Montfort in 1770.

  • Fr. Besnard died on April 22, 1788 at St. Laurent.

 

The Fourth Superior General: Fr. J. B. Micquignon (1788-1792)

  • Fr. Jean Baptiste Micquignon was elected Superior General in April 1788. Sr. Flavie was elected Superior General of the D.W. in 1789.

  • The French Revolution started in 1789 and lasted till 1799.

  • Montfortian family, like most of the bishops and priests in France, took a stand against the Republican.

  • On June 1,1791, the Revolutionaries took 2 missionaries at St. Laurent as prisoners and took away a number of manuscripts. They were released on June 15.
  • Fr. Micquignon died prematurely on January 15, 1792 at La Rochelle.

The Fifth Superior Generral: Fr. Supiot (1792-1810)

  • Fr. Supiot was elected Superior General in February 1792.

  • The Vendeans rose against the Republican and during the battle in Vendees in 1793 the priests left the Mother House leaving six Brothers to watch the house.

  • The Brothers buried books and precious manuscripts of Montfort in a coffer for fear of being confiscated and burnt in a neighbor’s land.

  • 4. The Republican soldiers pillaged the House on January 31, 1794 and killed 4 Brothers.

  • Altogether 2 priests, 4 Brothers and 34 Sisters were killed during the Revolution.
  • In 1795 there was a short period of peace and freedom of worship.

  • Fr. Supiot was appointed Vicar General of the diocese by the bishop on October 24, 1796. The civil war broke out again but was put down by the government in the same year.

  • Fr. Supiot bought the “Bertonderie” which became Supiot House and later on St. Gabriel House.

 

The Sixth Superior General: Fr. Duchesne (1810-1820) 

  • Fr. Supiot resigned and handed over the administration to Fr. Duchesne on March 26, 1810.

  • Fr. Supiot died on December 12, 1818.

  • Fr. Duchesne came into contact with Fr. Deshayes in 1812 in Brittany while visiting the Sister’s Houses. Fr. Deshayes liked the Spirituality of Montfort and joined the SMM congregation.

  • Fr. Duchesne requested Fr. Deshayes to be his Assistant on December 21, after being elected by the priests on December 17, and appointed his visitors for the Sisters in Brittany.
  • Fr. Duchesne died suddenly on December 22, 1820 at St. Laurent.

 

The Seventh Superior General: Fr. Gabriel Deshayes (1821-1841)

  • Fr. Gabriel Deshayes was born on December 1767 at Beignon, Brittany.

  • His father was a farmer and a butcher. His mother died when he was 5 years old. He was a second son out of 4 children of which 2 were male and 2 were female.

  • He helped looking after the sheep and was jovial and generous by nature.

  • He joined the Vincentian seminaries (minor and major) from 1782-1790 at St. Servan and St. Meen in St. Malo diocese.

  • During the French revolution he escaped to Jersey Island and was ordained priest there on March 4, 1792.
  • He returned to France and became a non-jurist priest living in disguise with other priests in a group and giving spiritual service secretly to the villagers from 1792-1800.

  • In 1801, after Napoleon signed Concordat with the Pope and peace was restored in France he was appointed assistant parish priest at Paimpont and Beignon and, later on, in 1805 was appointed parish priest of St. Gildas, Auray.

  • He began opening a lot of institutions for those in needs – boys, girls, seminarians, prisoners, etc.

  • He loved the handicapped very much and started a deaf school by inviting the Daughter of Wisdom to take charge at la Charthruse d’ Auray.

  • He also started a few male and female religious congregations even before becoming the Superior General of the Montfortian congregation. They are: Ploermel Brothers as co-founder, Sisters of St. Gildas, Sisters of the Guardian Angel, the Farming Brothers of St. Francis of Assisi.

  • At the sudden death of Fr. Duchesne, the Superior General of the D.W. wrote to him at Auray on the 30th of December 1820 inviting him to come to St. Laurent to see to the successor of Fr. Duchesne.

  • He came to St. Laurent on January 13, 1821 and after a 3 days retreat with the missionaries was elected Superior General on January 17, 1821.

  • When he became Superior General there were 7 priests, 4 brothers, 778 sisters and at his death there were 150 brothers and 1668 sisters.

  • He made retreat with all the Fathers in which he allowed them to share their thoughts in order to know them well.

  • He reintroduced mission works - Montfort style, for the Fathers and organized it well altogether 48 missions were preached.

  • He reintroduced the taking of vows that was discontinued since the time of Fr. Besnard due to political change in France that let to the French Revolution during 1789-1799.

  • In 1837 the new rule for the priest was drafted inspired by the original rule written by Montfort.

  • In 1825 he went to have audience with the Pope Leo XII in Rome in order to get the constitutions of both congregations approved and to obtain the beatification of Montfort but did not succeed. He came back and worked on the process of beatification of Montfort. The diocesan proceeding took place from August 4, 1829 to July 10, 1830 and Montfort was declared Venerable on September 7, 1830.

  • Fr. Deshayes organized retreats for the Sisters in different places.

  • He founded a second novitiate for the Sisters in St. Laurent to prepare them for final vows.

  • From 1834 onward he made the Chapter a regular feature for the D.W. Congregation.

  • He encouraged the Sisters to work more for the education of the deaf, mute and blind by setting up schools for the blind, deaf and mute in various places.

  • He took 2 novices and 5 postulants from his novitiate in Auray to the new noviciate at the Holy Spirit House in St. Laurent.

  • He asked the parish priests in a meeting to send him young men to be trained as teaching Brothers at St. Laurent and appointed Br. Simeon as the Novice Master.

  • In 1823, he wrote a Directory for the conduct of the Brothers. These rules were taken from the rules of the Brother in Auray, Brittany.

  • He secured the recognition from the government for the Holy Spirit Brothers to teach in 5 Provinces in western France.

  • From 1821 to 1841 he opened or took charge of 76 schools and at his death only 47 schools were still operating. The reasons for the closing down of 29 schools were either the Brothers were not well trained or the parish priests of the place did not keep to the agreement.

  • He made agreement with Fr. la Mennias the superior of the Ploermel Brothers using the banks of the Loire River as demarcation line between the two congregations for their field of work.

  • The revolution of 1830 put pressure on the Brothers’ work: schools were closed; some Brothers left the congregations; number of postulants was reduced.

  • He encouraged the Brothers to take charge of schools for the deaf and mute and blind in different places.

  • In 1825 he appointed Br. Augustin as an overall Director of the Brothers and Br. Simeon as his assistant.

  • In 1830 he published the rule governing the conduct of the Brothers for them.

  • There were tensions between the group of Brother teaching in schools and the group of Brothers who did manual works so, in 1835 he separated the teaching group with a few manual Brothers to the Supiot House which was later called St. Gabriel House.

  • In 1838 the improved rules of the Brothers and it was approved and signed by the Bishop of Lucon but it was still kept secret known only to a few.

  • In 1841 he suffered cerebral congestion and took a rest at La Chartreuse in Auray.

  • 36. He returned to St. Laurent and on December 15, 1841 he asked Br. Simeon to write his last will for him as Br. Augustin was away to visit the Brothers.

  • He died on December 28, 1841 and was buried at the XIV Station of the Cross that was at the end of the D.W. ’s cemetery.

 

A Separate Congregation with Brothers as Superior General.

The First Superior General: Bro. Augustin (1842-1852)

  • Fr. Dalin was elected Superior General of the Fathers on Jan. 14, 1842. He did not interfere with the affairs of the Brothers.

  • On March 12, 1842 Bro. Augustin wrote circular letter to all the Brothers announcing that, according to the secret document in 1838 left by Fr. Deshayes, the Brothers would choose the Superior General from among themselves.

  • Fr. Rautureau who was in charge of the library in the Holy Spirit House discovered the Manuscript of the True Devotion to Mary written by Fr. Monfort on Apr. 22, 1842.

  • On July 6, 1842, Bro. Augustin wrote the second circular letter giving the calendar of operation for the assembly of the Brothers to be held from September 11-14 which they would study the statutes left by Fr. Deshayes. The retreat would follow from September 14-21 and the election would take place on the 21st of September. All these were held at St. Gabriel House in St. Laurent Sur Serve.

  • Bro. Augustin was elected the first Superior General on Sept. 21, 1842 for a term of 5 years with 4 assistant Generals. There were 99 Brothers and 34 Novices.

  • During his first mandate, Bro. Augustin, in all his circulars, called Fr. Deshayes as a founder of the congregation. Most of the Brothers did not agree with his idea but did not dare to voice it out openly.

  • During his first Mandate he printed the first Brother Prayer book in 1844. He also enlarged the St. Gabriel enclosure by added up a chapel in 1843 and a boarding school in 1844.

  • Bro. Augustin was re-elected Superior General on Sept 3, 1847 along with 2 assistants General and 3 councilors.

  • In 1849 he went to Paris to contact the official on the approval of the congregation for the whole of France but the officials told him to wait till 1853 for the new law.

  • In 1850 there was a plot to return to accept the Father as Superior like the situation before 1842. When Bro. Augustin came to know he scolded his councilors. The opponents did not give in but for fear of disunity in the congregation they decided to elect Bro. Simeon to replace Bro. Augustin.

 

The Second Superior General: Bro. Simeon (1852-1862)

  • The general assembly was in a tense atmosphere and on Sept. 8, 1852 Bro. Simeon was elected Superior General with 2 assistants. There were 197 Brothers and 95 Novices and postulants.

  • On Mach 3, 1853 the official approval of the congregation for the whole of France mentioned the name “Brothers of St. Gabriel” as in the approval of 1823. In the beginning Bro. Simeon and his assistants would like to reverse to the original name- Brothers of the Holy Spirit, but for fear of split he left it to the desire of Bro. Augustin.

  • In 1854 the General Assembly was changed to General Chapter and rules were written to that effect.

  • In 1856 Fr. Dalin, the Superior General of the Fathers resigned from his congregation to become a diocesan priest. This shattered the hope of those who wanted to return under the Father as before 1842.

  • The first general chapter was held from 7-11 Apr. 1857 and Bro. Simeon was re-elected Superior General with 3 Assistants and 2 councilors. The “great council” was created through the influence of Bro. Augustin to look into “important matters”.

  • 1860-1861 were painful years for the Superior General because many Brothers left the congregation and a few Brothers had to stand trial.

 

The third Superior General: Bro. Eugene-Marie (1862-1883)

  • The general chapter of 1862 elected Bro. Eugene-Marie Superior General and he was re-elected by the chapter of 1867, 1872, 1877, 1882. There were 481 Brothers and 106 Novices and postulants.

  • The proclamation of the kingdom of Italy was done in 1861 and in 1864 Bro. Eugene-Marie with three companions went to have an audience with the Pope. The first Vatican council was held from 1869-1870.

  • The Brothers had a new cemetery at St. Laurent in 1868 replacing the old site which became too small.

  • Fr. Montfort was declared Venerable on Sept. 29, 1869.

  • The special chapters of 1871 and 1874 were called for the purpose of drafting new rule for the congregation. The final draft was a small book of 72 pages with 224 articles approved by the bishop on July 3, 1874 and would be in use for 95 years with only minor changes.

  • Bro. Augustin died on Dec. 18, 1875.

  • In 1882 Jules Ferry, Minister of Education in France promulgated Education Law secularizing public primary schools.

  • Bro. Eugene Marie died suddenly of heart attack on Feb. 28, 1883.

 

The fourth Superior General: Bro. Hubert (1883-1898)

  • After the sudden death of Bro. Eugene Marie, Bro. Hubert, the 1st assistant called for a chapter. The chapter of 1883 elected Bro. Hubert as Superior General. The chapter of 1882 decided to prolong the mandate to 10 years. There were 668 Brothers and 102 novices.

  • Bro. Simeon died on Feb. 23, 1885.

  • Fr. Montfort was beatified on Jan. 22, 1888. คพ.

  • On September 25, 1888 six Brothers were sent to start a new mission in Canada.

  • The first session of a special chapter was called from June 9-10, 1888 to settle the issue of the Founder and Fr. Montfort was voted upon as the true founder.

  • In 1889 the Superior General of the SMM sent a 36 page brochure stating that the BSG had been founded by Fr. Deshayes not by Fr. Montfort. In reply Bro. Hubert sent 2 copies of brochures to explain the truth to the Superior of the SMM. This misunderstanding would last for 80 years.

  • The second session of a special chapter in 1890 was convened from April 10-11 to settle the issue of obtaining canonical approbation from Rome instead of diocesan approval. The approval was given in 1910.

  • In 1890 two groups of Brothers were sent to Alexandria in Egypt to teach in the Jesuit school (1890-1914) and to St. Johns Bury, Vermont, USA (1890-1896, 1903-1928).

  • In 1891 the Brothers teaching in Canada became a separate Province.

  • The chapter of 1893 reduced the mandate of the General Superior to 5 year period and raised the numbers of Assistants to 5.

 

The fifth Superior General: Bro. Martial (1898-1922)

  • The Chapter of 1898 elected Bro. Martial Superior General and re-elected him in 1908, 1920. There were 889 Brothers and 180 Novices. This chapter decided to suppress the “great council”, extend the General mandate period to 10 years, Provincial Superior became capitulars for the Chapter by right.

  • The first issue of “La Chronique”, the Congregation Magazine, was published in December 1898.

  • In 1900 Brothers were sent to teach in Belgium , Gabon, Djibouti, Somalia. ในปี ๑๙๐๐ ภราดาถูกส่งไปสอนที่เบลเยี่ยม กาบอง ดจิบูติ โซมาเลีย

  • In 1901 Brothers were sent to teach in Abyssinia (Ethiopia 1901-1936) and Siam (Thailand).

  •  Due to anti-clerical law in 1903 the BSG institute in France was legally dissolved by the parliament with a vote of 300 against to 257 for.

  • The Brothers were given secularization certificates and because of the confusion 436 Brothers left the congregation. Those who remained either went for mission abroad or stayed on quietly in France.

  • In 1903 Brothers were sent to teach in Switzerland, England, Italy, Spain Netherlands, India, Madagascar.

  • In Oct. 1905 Bros. General and Sebastian went to Rome to work at getting Papal approval for our congregation and to clarify about the vows of our secularized Brothers

  • In 1908 the General House was moved to Etterbeek, Brussels, Belgium. The chapter extended the mandate of the Superior General to 12 year period. There were 564 Brothers.

  • Pope Pius X approved our constitution on Feb. 15 1910.

  • Brothers were sent to teach in Venezuela in 1914.

  • 250 French Brothers were mobilized during WWI. 22 French Brothers died in this war (1914-1918).

  • The chapter of 1920 saw the need of appointing recruiters because of lack of vocation. 71 soldiers did not return to the congregation after demobilization.

  • Bro. Martial died of heart failure at Liverpool in a cabin on board the steamer destined towards Canada on May 26,1922.

 

The sixth Superior General: Bro. Sebastian (1922-1935)

  • The general chapter of 1922 elected him Superior General and re-elected him in 1929. There were 723 Brothers. This chapter insisted on starting the second novitiate.

  • 1928 Brothers were sent to teach in Belgium Congo.

 

The seventh Superior General: Bro. Benoit Marie (1935-1946)

  • The general chapter of 1935 elected him Superior General. There were 1193 Brothers.

  • In 1935 the Brothers departed Ethiopia due to Italian war against Ethiopia.

  • In 1936 Brothers were sent to teach in Singapore.

  • From 1936-1938 there was a Spanish civil war and 49 Brothers became martyrs.

  • In 1939 the WWII broke out in Europe and spread throughout the whole world and lasted till 1945. During the war the general administration could not communicate with most of the Brothers in different Provinces.

  • About 300 French Brothers were mobilized and 11 French Brothers were killed as soldiers and later on many became prisoners of war, 2 died as obligatory war service, 64 Brothers did not come back to the Institute after the war. Schools were used as barracks or bombed. There was a shortage of everything. About 20 Belgian Brothers were mobilized and one died in a battle. French Brothers in Thailand were withdrawn to India. Catholic communities in Singapore took refuge in Bahau jungle in the Malaysia peninsula for one and a half years and were harassed by Malaria. Canadian Brothers in France and Singapore were put in concentration camps. 2 Italian Brothers in India were imprisoned in a camp with their fellow country-men.

  • In 1940 the generalate was moved back to France, the government of France during German occupation allowed religious and clerics to wear cassock again.

  • In January 1946 Bro. Benoit Marie at 77 years old resigned from his superior General position due to ill health and died in October 1948.

 

Interim General: Bro. Armand Joseph ( January-December 1946)

  • Bro. Armand Joseph, the 1st assistant was interim General till the chapter of December 1946. He was not re-elected because he was 73 years old.

  • In June 1946 Gaetan Bernoville’s book “Grignion de Montfort, Apostle of schools and the Brothers of St. Gabriel” came out.

 

The eighth Superior General: Bro. Anastase (1946-1953)

  • The chapter of 1946 elected him Superior general. There were 1,198 Brothers.

  • The misunderstanding on filiations issue came up again at the canonization of Montfort on July 20, 1947. Bro. Anastase’s maneuvers proved successful in the end.

  • Brothers were sent to teach in Brazil in 1949.

 

The 9th Superior General: Bro. Gabriel Marie (1953-1965)

  • The general chapter of 1953 elected Bro. Gabriel Marie Superior General. He was re-elected in the chapter of 1959. There were 1372 Brothers.

  • Bro. Gabriel Marie gave intense spiritual animation by writing about 1500 pages of circulars and letters to the Brothers.

  • Brothers were sent to teach in Senegal in 1954.

  • Brothers were sent to teach in Congo and central Africa in 1957.

  • Brothers were sent to teach in Columbia in 1961 and in Peru in 1962.

  • The mother house in Rome was blessed by Cardinal Tisserant on November 18, 1962.

  • The second Vatican Council was from 1962-1965. สังคายนาวาติกันที่ ๒ มีขึ้นตั้งแต่ปี ๑๙๖๒ - ๑๙๖๕

  • The Brothers were sent to teach in Cameroon in 1964. ปี ๑๙๖๔ ภราดาถูกส่งไปสอนเรียนที่คาเมรูน

 

The 10th Superior General: Bro. Romain Landry(1965-1976)

  • The chapter of 1965 elected him Superior General. He was re-elected by the chapter of 1971. There were 1790 Brothers. He was a Canadian.

  • 7 Belgian Brothers became martyrs in Buta, Zaire.

  • Brothers were sent to teach in Rwanda in 1965.

  • The controversy between the SMM and BSG “officially” ended in 1968.

  • The Church, after Vatican II asked all Religious Congregations to renew their constitution by convening special Chapter according to the Spirit of the decree on Perfectae Caritatis.

  • The special Chapter was convened in two sessions in 1969 and 1971 and produced a new constitution divided into 2 parts: Rule of Life and the Constitution. The new constitution was to be used on trial basis for 12 years.

  • Due to this time of changes, a number of Brothers left the Congregation.

  • Brothers were sent to teach in PNG in 1968, Mauritius in 1969, Haiti in 1970, Fiji in 1973.

  • The first Council of the Institute, a new invention, was held in Rome in 1972.

 

The 11th Superior General: Bro. Jean Bulteau (1976-1988)

  • The year 1978 was known as “the year of 3 Popes- Paul VI, John Paul I and John Paul II”.

  • There were 1418 Brothers in 1976.

  • The commission of Finance was created in 1981 to prepare proposals on the management of the funds entrusted to the central Administration.

  • The new Code of Cannon Law was published on January 25, 1983.

  • Brothers were sent to teach in Tanzania in 1983.

  • The present rule of life was approved by the Church on April 28, 1986.

  • Bro. Jean Bulteau was well versed in this rule of life and wrote “Sources of the rule of life” in 1987 and also gave comments on the rule extensively.

  • The Pilgrimage on the footstep of Montfort was first mentioned in 1978 done by a group of 32 Spanish Brothers in July. In May 1980 Bro. Antony Francisco arranged pilgrimage for the 16 Asian Formators. In 1981 it was done by the members of the council of the Institute and then it was organized yearly by Bro. Antony Francisco for English speaking Brothers, Bro. Rolandeau organized for French speaking Brothers.

  • Formator’s session was organized in Rome from Dec. 22 – Jan 7, 1987 and Directory of Formation was printed in January 1988 to deal with the ongoing formation of the Brothers.

 

The 12th Superior General: Rev. Bro. Jean Friant (1988-2000)

  • There were 1250 Brothers in 1988. The Chapter in 1988 elected him Superior General and the Chapter of 1994 re-elected.

  • The Brothers were sent to teach in Tonga in 1989 and Kenya in 1992.

  • Sr. Marie Louis was beautified in 1993.

  • In September 1996 there was a seminar on Monfortian Education for the whole Congregation.

  • There was a Monfortian Congress for the three Monfortian Congregation at the GPC in Bangkok in Dec. 1998 to inculturate Montfort heritage.

 

The 13th Superior General: Rev. Bro. Rene Delorme (2000-2013)

  • There were 1205 Brothers in 2000. Bro. Rene Delorme is the second Canadian Superior General. He was re-elected by the chapter in 2006.

  • Bro. Sirichai Fonseka, the first Thai Brother was elected Assistant General from 2000 – 2005.

  • The Brothers were sent to teach in the Philippines in 2002.

  • Bro. Amnuay Yoonprayong was appointed the Secretariat for Justice and Peace and Integrity of Creation for the whole congregation.

  • Bro. Phiraphongs Darathai was requested to help at the Mother House as personal secretary of the Superior from 2004 – 2005.

  • There was a seminar on Formation for the whole Congregation at GPC in Bangkok in August 2002.

  • A seminar was organized for the Provincial bursars from 5th – 10th of June 2006.

  • The Provinces of Belgium and Italy were suppressed and merged with the Province of France and new Provinces were created in India and Africa in 2007.